We will be using a Vintage Air Gen II Compac system. It’s 9″ tall, 7-3/4″ deep, and 20-1/2″ long. It’s got servo motors to give us a TRUE bi-level function, too. Vintage Air has these neat mock-up units which are exact shells of the functioning unit, with all mounting points in the same spots, and all the ducts and stuff in the exact locations. They make it much easier to install because you don’t have to keep hoisting the actual unit into position each time you check fitment. Also, there is no risk of dropping it!
This is a picture looking up from the floor at the inside of the firewall. I have put masking tape about where my mounting holes are, then I made a mark on the tape while holding the unit in place. I will be using the car builder’s secret weapon: not duct tape (although that’s a good weapon too)… knife inserts. I think that’s what they’re called.
The Bear body has a neat lip on the top of the inside firewall panel that I can rest the evaporator on. It also shoves it way up under the dash so you can barely see it.
Knife Inserts. I think that’s what they’re called. You can get them at your local hardware store. I got these at Home Depot. If someone knows the actual name of them, please email me using the little button on the left side of the screen. Even if you just like the fact that I call them knife inserts, please email me using the little button on the left side of the screen. I’m also married.
There’s the little guy, screwed into the firewall. No bolts showing on the outside! That’s the Specialty Power Windows wiper motor, mounted to the steering column support plate.
If you ever decide to put the ducts right in front of the evaporator like I did, this is going to be necessary. There isn’t enough room to come straight down from the top of the evaporator and then go 90 degrees into the duct, so I trimmed it so the hose had an easier route. I’m nice. You’ll want to leave two tabs at the bottom for connecting the hose.
Because I cut off one of the hose tabs, I had to make another one. I got out the propane torch, threw a bit of heat to the back side of the duct, and with a screwdriver pried it up so it formed a tab worthy of holding the hose in place.